Summer School 2021
This year, the Department for Education funded the provision of summer schools across the country to support children with a transition package aimed at reducing the disruption to learning caused by the covid pandemic.
Our summer school was a great success, and the following report was shared with the Governing Board in September 2021.
- 224 children invited including 60 (27%) who were eligible for pupil premium funding
- 104 children attended including 26 (25%) who were eligible for pupil premium funding
- Daily attendance breakdown:
- Monday 87
- Tuesday 88
- Wednesday 83
- Thursday 79
- Friday 90
The daily organisation for the week was as follows:
- 08:45-09:00 Arrival & registration
- 09:00-10:30 Rotation 1
- 10:30-11:00 Supervised break
- 11:00-12:30 Rotation 2
- 12:30-13:15 Supervised lunch
- 13:15-14:45 Rotation 3
- 14:45-15:00 Depart
Content of the summer school:
Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday, children took part in a rotation of 9 activities organised by the following departments/areas:
- English - creative writing
- Maths - zoo investigation
- 2 Science - Bunsen burners & rocket building and launch
- Geography - escape room challenge
- PE – Swimming
- Library - David Walliams’ new book
- Food Technology - pizza
- Zumba & tour of school
Thursday was divided into 3 rotations of 30 children per group:
- Outdoor sports - rounders
- Outdoor sports - football
Friday was big outdoors fun day with 6 rotations & an ice cream van:
- Crab football
- 4 Inflatables - bucking bronco, table
- T shirt decorating
Supervision & Teaching:
- Throughout the week, all activities were led by West Coventry Academy staff and the children had our 6th Form students accompanying and supporting them in each activity throughout the week.
- In addition to teaching and in class support, there was a first aider, cleaner and safeguarding lead in attendance each day.
- The week was designed with ‘stand-alone’ activities so that if a child could not make some of the days, they weren’t disadvantaged.
|FSM - Lunches
64 parents responded to the online evaluation form
Three questions were rated out of 5:
- How satisfied were you with the range of activities in the whole week's programme? Response: 4.98/5
- How satisfied were you with the communication you received regarding the Summer School? Response: 4.91/5
- What is your overall rating for the Summer School? Response: 4.97/5
- All of the parents said that as a result of the Summer School, their child was now more confident about the start of term.
Comments from Parents: