Careers: Work Experience
Further updates with regards to 2020 Work Experience will follow depending on the latest Government Guidelines with regards to COVID-19
Work Experience Parent Letter - Download (103kb)
Work Experience Insurance Form 2019-20 - Download (53kb)
Work Experience Booklet 2019-20 - Download (3.03mb)
Virtual Work Experience
Below is a list of some FREE virtual Work Experience placements plus Careers Information/Tips to find alternatives. Some will give a flavour of a career and some are ACTUAL placements where you need to register, apply and undertake hours of work (up to a 5-day placement).
This is not an exhaustive list, but may help students, especially in Year 10 who have missed out on their Actual 2-week W/Exp placement and also Year 12 to enhance their future Applications for HE, Apprenticeships & Employment. Don’t forget there are other forms of W/Experience you can demonstrate (if safe to do so) such as Volunteering (at a foodbank?) taking shopping to elderly neighbour, dog walking, Extra curricular activities – DoE, Scouts, Guides, Clubs or take up a new skills such as BSL – British Sign Language
For as little as a £3 donation you can start a course in BSL online - https://www.british-sign.co.uk/
Also, take a look at individual Employers as they may offer something via their website; at least you are undertaking Career Research, whilst not physically in school.
- https://www.s4snextgen.org/ Speakers 4 Schools are offering a range of areas for the focussed student. Please be aware of the various Closing Dates and when on offering during July+ (plus some are not offered for our geographical area).Successful Students from WCA have so far had some really good experiences & feedback. It is competitive! You need to Register to look at the various opportunities on offer.
- https://www.springpod.co.uk/learn-lounge/ offers students to Live and interactive careers talks, completely free to attend. Don’t worry if you can’t watch live - all talks will be available on-demand. It features inspiring career stories and guidance from experts across different fields – from technology to sport, and everything in between.
- Also offering a FEW Virtual Work experiences such as Nursing, Allied Health via NHS and an Engineering. Take a look as time specific again, e.g. NHS Allied Health runs from 20th and 31st July and this work experience programme will give students the chance to see life inside the NHS. They'll learn about day-to-day life as an Occupational Therapist, learn how to analyse activities and support patients to overcome barriers in their day to day lives.
- Students can take part from the comfort of their own home. All they’ll need to access this programme is a computer that they can use for 10 hours over the 2 weeks. They can fit the work around their schedule, even if they’re unable to attend live webinars they’ll be able to access recordings
- https://barclayslifeskills.com/i-want-virtual-work-experience/school/virtual-work-experience - You will need to register for this but not only does Barclaycard Lifeskills offer this Virtual W/Exp but also lots of useful information including CVs, building Confidence and Assertiveness, and tips to progress into the eventual World of Work. When you take part or view activities, students gain points to track their LifeSkills progress.
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00zf3m1/episodes/player - the comedian Rhod Gilbert in videos meeting people from a variety of careers and him having a go at that career - A Day in the Life of a ……. Lots of careers available and his take on it.
- https://teachfirstcharity.sharepoint.com/:w:/s/External/DEV/EUNzGLsYJXxCnAIanU-raxUBlrdSh_8psz4PFsveYldYtw?rtime=4qtUq1IY2Eg – 5-8 min video clips of Virtual Career Talks from UK companies. Also there are fact sheets accompanying the films, plus shows subject links . More career talks to add in the future. Some include Architect, Careers in the Theatre, Electrician, Finance etc
- https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/work-experience-and-internships Information and suggestions to alternatives to Work Experience plus lots of other Career & Job Profiles/Information